There were going to be two real tests to see if I had recovered from Achilles tendonitis: the Swing and the Squat.
When I do any KB Squat, I go ass to grass. When I do light Goblet Squats for warmups, I stay at the bottom for a while and move around in order to open up my hips.
When I was down there, I felt my Achilles tendon. It was a tad tight but nothing I couldn’t work through. Fortunately, I got through this session like an ace and it feels great the next day.
Here’s the workout:
- KB Halos 16kg 3×10
- KB Goblet Squats 16kg 3×5
- Single KB Clean 70# 2×11 (PR)
- Hang Clean 70# 2×6 (PR) – Again, Cleans improve my form by like 2000%. Side benefit: they will work you over if you are doing them right. No overarching, no flipping the bell over, tight abs, obliques, and glutes–make it snap.
- KB Rack Squat 70# 9 reps (PR) 16 total
- Goblet Squat 70# 6 reps (PR) 10 total
Results: Debated on whether to include the Swing today. But I wanted to keep things simple and didn’t want to overwork the lower body with a semi-tight Achilles tendon. Will retest next week. All in all, a great workout.